Chemical-free cleaning and biofilm prevention
To establish our goals, we use the SDG‘s as a general guideline.
We specialize in delivering the best available chemical-free solutions for:
- Cleaning of wet surfaces and reducing CFU’s in:
- piping systems
- above-and underground storage tanks
- cooling towers
- heat exchangers
- water basins and storage tanks
- Fighting algae (and cyanobacteria) in ponds and recreational waterbodies
- Reducing biofouling on submerged marine structures.
- Cleaning semi-wet or periodically dry surfaces.
- HVAC applications (atmospheric air cleaning of commercial and industrial buildings).
- Aerating water masses with nanobubbles to fight aquatic hypoxia and to improve waste water recycling installations
Our emphasis is :
- on the use of environmental acceptable techniques, methods and products
- to avoid dismantling and installation downtime (optimize MTBF)
- to act, if possible, both preventive and curative
- to reduce or completely avoid the use of chemicals like biocides, descalants or inhibitors
What general contamination usually comes down to is the formation of dynamic communities of surface-attached multi-species forming a “biofilm”.
All liquids contain free floating (planktonic) micro-organisms and have the tendency to initiate bio-fouling on their contact surfaces. What follows is the formation of a biofilm that again will attract and accumulate more of contaminants.
Until recently, biofouling (surface contamination) could only be removed manually or with (harmful) surface acting agents such as disinfectants or biocides.
Now we have safer and more environmentally friendly methods like ultrasound, catalysts (NOA’s) and the application of “healthy” or “positive” micro-organisms.
Our methods have the advantage of being :
- able to clean thoroughly and even into cracks and pores. They also bypass the survival strategies of certain bacteria (the so called habituation and sensory adaptation).
- used as CIP (Cleaning In Place) thus eliminating downtime and disassembling of installations.
Other advantages :
- very low power consumption
- the use of chemicals can be reduced or sometimes completely eliminated
- systems can be custom build for a variety of applications
- works preventive and in some cases also curative
- works acoustic, no radiation or electromagnetic waves are used
- there is no maintenance required
- the organoleptic properties of the treated liquid are not changed (texture and taste)
- due to the amount of systems sold, we have the most experience with low-power ultrasound technology on the market today.
“Humans, animals and their environment request a change in mentality with regards to the use of biocides”
Biofilms are nutrient-rich layers (often slimy) and grow virtually everywhere and in almost any environment where there is a combination of :
- a liquid or moist environment
- a man-made or natural surface (the substrate)
In addition, optimal acidity and temperatures + stagnant water will even accelerate the growth.
For example, temperatures between 20 and 45°C already promote legionella growth while they proliferate best at temperatures between 32 and 35°C.
Contrary to what many people think, even electropolished stainless steel surfaces can attract biofilm formation.
Picture Right : Stainless steel surface with pore contamination,A=1500x ( Source Dockweiler Nederland b.v. )
Picture left : Polymicrobic biofilm grown on a stainless steel surface in a laboratory potable water biofilm reactor for 14 days, then stained and examined by epifluorescence microscopy. (source CDC,2002)
Even desalinated, demineralized and UPW (Ultra Pure Water) are prone for biofilm formation due to the presence of oligotrophs. (organism that can live in an environment that offers very low levels of nutrients)
On this website we concentrate on the applications where bacteria and/or perseverant biofilm formation is not desired due to economic, functional, esthetic or health reasons. (causing undesired smell, clogging, slime formation, algal bloom, reduced heat transfer, etc…)
The curative removal and prevention of scaling is done with well established Ultrasound Technology.
In essence, we remove the feeding ground of many micro-organisms and stop the binary fission (multiplication) of bacteria by causing vibration and stress in the liquid . In addition, resonant frequencies can impair the vital membranes of cells and vacuoles.
The result is a reduced CFU value and thus a more sterile environment.
Where ultrasound cannot reach dry surfaces (no available Liquid-Solid Interface), elimination or conversion of a biofilm can also be done trough bioremediation using effective micro-organisms (EM) or sometimes called probiotics.
We offer both off-the-shelf products as well as customized systems whereby the efficiency can be measured to optimize the results needed.
Maritech offers a wide range of innovative products and solutions designed with your needs in mind.
Usage ranges from traditional recreational and industrial applications to more pioneering and newly emerging fields.